Finally, finally, some photos of the finished pink quilt. Pattern from Kim Brackett from her Scrap Basket Sensations book. Quilt was machine quilted by me. I inserted a pieced strip on the back made up of many of the triangle off-cuts, which usually end up in the bin.
Photo not great, but we are in the midst of a monsoon weather pattern, so pics not great, inside or out. Still to be be quilted and finished asap.
This quilt was made for DD’s piano teacher who is expecting her first baby shortly.
It was easy-peasy to make. We used 2 x charm packs of It’s a Hoot by MoMo for Moda fabrics, plus the same number of squares of plain fabric – in this case Moda Bella in Snow.
The pinwheels were made using this tutorial from Missouri Quilt Co.
Join 2 charm squares right sides together (one plain and one print) using 1/4” seam around the four sides. Cut diagonally through each side, which makes 4 blocks of joined half-square triangles. Form into pinwheels and sew back together using 1/4” seam. Trim back slightly to 5.5”.
Using 2 packs of print charms plus 2 packs of plain (or yardage), you will make approx 84 blocks. I joined them together in a 9 x 9 block configuration, using 81 blocks. I machine quilted in straight lines. Once binding added, finished quilt size approx 46.5” square.
The backing fabric is a Bubbles design by Keiko Goke
I took 2 of these charm packs – Moda Hushabye by Tula Pink
sewed them together, sliced and rearranged them to make a Disappearing Nine Patch pattern
added some off-white Kona cotton sashing
the backing fabric
and machine quilted it with a “meandering” design
The finished size is approx 50” x 50” . I hope baby Miss M likes her new quilt!
Here’s a baby quilt I just finished for a friend. I’ve been practising my free-motion quilting a lot and was reasonably happy with the practice pieces.
However – I felt as if I went psycho when I put the needle into a Real Quilt and it is not as good as I’d hoped.I tried out my walking foot for the first time and didn’t like it at all for quilting in the ditch. Then I shadow quilted 1/4” either side of the seams, which in hindsight I shouldn’t have. Still, being a kid’s quilt, hopefully it will stand up to lots of washing.
The label was from a roll of labels fabric and I hand painted it with watercolour textile crayons in pinks, once I knew it was a baby girl.